Saturday, November 1, 2008

Etsy artisan interview with: Nyblaque!

http://Nyblaque.etsy.com

How did you first get interested in what you do?
I've always had a passion for art, personal expression and fashion. I remember drawing stick figure clothing designs since about 7 or 8yrs old. Then I got into runway modeling and writing poetry throughout my teen years. When I became pregnant in 2005, finances were sparse and I needed a job but was too far along in my pregnancy, so I decided to make jewelry at home. I became friends with a jewelry designer who was a vendor and work at home mom of two who showed me some basic wire-wrap techniques..then I taught myself color theory, stringing and hammering.

In 2006 I applied for my state tax i.d., got a table and sold as a sidewalk vendor in the Bronx and then Manhattan, which I still do on the weekends:) Then I researched e-commerce, found Etsy.com and opened a shop in 2007. I just celebrated my 1st Anniversary in June 2008..I am so happy to work doing what I love...creating beautiful things:) My next projects are lampworking, photography, paper crafts & interior design.

Who is your favorite artist? OO boy, I love so many different mediums its hard to pick a fav..Let's see

Performing Artist
James Earl Jones
Alvin Ailey
Katherine Dunham
Blue Mans Group
Cirque De Solei(I know I am spelling that wrong lol)

Art
Picasso
Frida Carlo
New York City Street Artists/Stetchers

Music
Santana
Enya
Enigma
Ella Fitzgerald
Stevie Wonder

Writing
Maya Angelou
Langston Hughes
Mark Twain
Edgar Allen Poe

I think I'll stop there or there will be no more room LOL!

What are your top 5 favorite Etsy shops? This question is even harder...
1. I love ImagineStudios- http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5664830
Lyse Marion has the most amazing visual and creative arts shop I have ever seen on Etsy.

2. Hemplady4u- http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5111998
First because she makes the best hemp creations with a great unique style and wonderful quality. But mainly because she welcomed me to Etsy with open arms, started the famous"all you ignored" post in Etsy Forums for folks to come in and chat when they need a bit more attention who feel well, ignored in the Promotions Forums and want some love for their shops or just to chat and make friends. And she is a great friend and was there for me during some rough times.

3. GlassGypsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=48376
He..yes HE is a true sweetheart who is an amazing lampwork artist. I have used many of his glass beads in my creations. And has given me so much research and advice that has inspired me to look into glasswork myself!

4. HMBStudios- http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=61203
I drool over her lampwork beads:)

5. TimothyAdamdesigns- http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5074716
Awesome Handmade modern metal jewelry, furniture, and art.I swear if i would afford his work...i have never seen metalworking quite like his. My favorite creations of his are the jewelry racks, clocks and furniture. Amazing!

No comments: